Saturday, July 21, 2012

What happened to training bras?

As the mom of a 10 year old and a 6 year old, I am grateful that we are able to send them both to Catholic school.  The uniform is my favorite part!  Well - maybe not the most favorite, but it's darn close.  I find with the 10 year old, we call her Sr. Mary Margaret (or MM for short) - when we shop for regular clothes for outside of school, she's still in the sparkly panda bear t-shirt phase.  She doesn't really care for the fashion so much as does it sparkle and does she like the color.  I haven't had to fight her too much on picking out clothing.  I'm sure the day is coming. 

One thing I have noticed though - what happened to training bras?  In the store the other day - bras for girls who don't really need them, but all their friends are starting to wear them, or maybe they just need a little extra fabric under t-shirts - are padded!  Yes, padded bras for 10 year olds, well I guess 8-12 year olds are the target consumers based on the sizes offered.  To this I have to say, what the hell?  Now, it's not good enough to patiently wait and yearn and pine for when the good Lord will see fit for your healthy development to begin - it's okay, no waiting necessary - just get some padding! 

I'm sorry, but padding should be reserved for 21 and over and more especially 40 and over after you've had children and gravity begins to take over.  I've had to shop the sports bra section for anything that even resembles a training bra for MM. 

But, for both of the girls, finding clothes that fit and keep them looking like little girls is hard!  Dresses are the biggest challenge.  I find that dresses for any occasion for girls are just miniature (if you can get smaller) versions of the juniors dresses - and those should really be reserved for the over 21 or college crowd, when you wear them because you are away from your parents who would tell you to march your butt right back up the stairs because you are not leaving the house in that!  Can I find a pair of jeans that don't show everything from behind?  Do we need a Trendy-Top for the tween crowd too?  Yes, please. 

Bratz dolls have been banned from our house since they arrived and I'm not particularly fond of Barbie either.  I give her a pass because she does throw Midge a bone every now and then and she seems to have accomplished a lot in her life even without eating and obviously spending most of her time at the plastic surgeon's office. 

Bathing suits are probably where I'm a bit more lenient.  I love a toddler in a bikini.  I love that they have no idea and could care less that their Buddha belly is protruding.  I don't mind the bikini on MM either, just because there isn't anything to reveal - yet.  But I see her watching the older girls at the pool with plenty to reveal, but she does point out how "inappropriate" it is.  Thank God, again, for Catholic school.

I dress pretty modestly - mostly because I hate the way that I look.  Actually, I loathe the way I look and I try to keep those feelings to myself because I don't want the girls to ever know I feel that way.  If I was in better physical shape, I probably would buy nicer clothes, I'd buy lots more clothes, but not revealing clothes.  I'm more of an LL Bean, Talbots, and Lands End girl.  They have great stuff - this year's summer dresses were awesome.  My dear hubby is seriously color blind, so to him, the perfect combination is anything navy, white and khaki, mostly because he can see the contrast of the colors so I have a lot of that.  Forced modesty by the visually impaired spouse.  There aren't too many micro-minis in navy blue.  When I do have the occasion to dress up and put my big girl shoes on, I think the girls know that I'm dressing up for Daddy.  His is the only opinion I care about.  And as the included article sums up - how we Moms feel about our appearance does a lot for how our daughters feel about theirs. Hopefully, I pray I'm on the right track in teaching them what makes them valuable and what can send the message that they are invaluable. 

The one area I'm failing in is make up.  I'm a make up junkie. I have been since I first started using it, which was way too early.  I have to have it perfectly applied and I rarely go without it.  I'm putting Lasix surgery off because you can't wear eye make up for 2 weeks!  2 weeks!  I'm waiting for that time period to be shortened.  I was away for the weekend a bit ago and actually went an entire day, in front of people, without a stitch of make up on.  It was a huge thing for me - sounds pathetic, but for me it was big.  I do notice that the girls are really into make up.  This summer it's almost every day where there is a hint of blush, a request for just a bit of mascara, etc.  I guess it's time for me to step away from the eyeliner, but I won't be leaving the house on those days.

Obviously, I'm not the only Mom with these concerns.  Should 6 year old girls be trying to look sexy?

No comments:

Post a Comment